2 minute read....
There is a ton of research to support how environment affects mood, but I’ll save that for another time. Let’s keep it simple for today. The best way to improve your surroundings is to decorate it in a way that appeals to you – obviously. :)
Using colour and texture in a space is a great way to create the vibe you want. And, one of the quickest and easiest ways to add colour and texture, is by adding throw pillows to a room.
[Pin it for reference!]
That’s all well and good, but some people really struggle with how to style their pillows so that they look great together. Well, that’s what I’m about to address in this quick video…(seriously it’s like just under a minute long). Check it out: 3 Tips for Styling Throw Pillows 
HERE’S A QUICK RECAP THAT YOU CAN REFER BACK TO
NOTE: This post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost to you. For more information see my disclosure below. :)
TIP #1 - MIX TEXTURES AND PATTERNS TO CREATE INTEREST
At a bare minimum, you should choose a variety of three throw pillows keeping your chosen colour scheme in mind. A simple rule of thumb is:
- Add one solid colour, textured throw pillow
- Add one large or medium scale patterned throw pillow
- Add one throw pillow with a small scale pattern
NOTE: You can certainly add more patterns and textures, but keep variety and your colour scheme in mind.
Vary the patterns themselves as well, always remembering your colour scheme. Make sure to choose some patterns with definitive lines, for example; stripes, geometric and plaid and then combine them with curvy line patterns such as floral, script or damask patterns, etc. Too much of the same pattern and scale and colour will make for an uninteresting design.
Texture is a great way of coordinating with patterns while adding depth. Texture is especially ideal for people that don't love, or aren't comfortable with a lot of pattern. Use solid colour, textured fabrics to contrast with the patterns that you've chosen. Not only will the textures add dimension to the design, but they’ll also give the eye somewhere to rest and let the focus stay on the patterns so that they make a statement in the room. There are so many textures to choose from - mix them up and have fun.
TIP #2 - LAYER PILLOWS OF VARIOUS SIZE FOR DEPTH & DIMENSION
Depth and dimensions help to make a space more interesting and experiential. To further add depth and dimension to your space, vary the pillow sizes you choose. A simple recipe for success is:
- Place your largest pillows at the back of the arrangement (20” to 24” pillows are best depending on the scale of your furniture).
- Layer your smallest throw pillows (12” to 16” depending on the scale of your furniture and the style of the pillows) and lumbar pillows in the front of the arrangement so they aren’t hidden by larger pillows
- Place medium size (16” to 18”) in between your back and front layers
TIP #3 - DECIDE WHETHER YOU PREFER A FORMAL OR CASUAL LOOKING SPACE
To achieve a more formal look:
- Pair the same number of throw pillows on either side of your furniture (eg. 3 pillows on the left of your sofa and 3 pillows on the right of your sofa)
- Use matching throw pillows on either side of your furniture to create symmetry
To achieve a more casual look:
- Use an odd number of throw pillows on your furniture
- Instead of matching the throw pillows, coordinate them. This will ensure the you still create balance in the design without it being symmetrical
There you have it! Three tips to successfully style your throw pillows. If you’d like a deeper understanding of how to get inspiration for your throw pillow styling, which colours evoke which feelings or the best fabrics to choose when designing your space, check out my DIY Interior Design Course. It covers these topics and SO much more!
View course curriculum here.
And as always, if you'd like to stay in the loop with what's on trend in the world of interior design and get tips on how to put your ideas together, sign up for the Design Tribe for helpful cheats sheets, checklists and guides to help you achieve your interior design goals.
Good luck with your throw pillow creations. I know they're gonna be great!
P.S. Painting your house any time soon? Get my FREE Perfect Paint Colour Checklist & Coordination Paint Colours Guide!
Principal Designer | Orangetree Interiors
Unless stated, I do not own any of the images posted on this blog. If you see your work on my site and I have not given you proper credit or you would like it to be removed, please contact me. Some of my posts include affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more information.